Tuesday, November 27, 2012

HbA1c Test


The HbA1c test or as its also known the A1c or Glycated Hemoglobin test is a blood test that shows a person’s average glucose levels over the previous 2-3 months.

This is the test the doctor did when I was diagnosed with Diabetes. You can see from the chart below that anyone with an A1C Glucose percent higher than 6.5 is a Diabetic. The chart came from the National Diabetes Clearing House. I recommend it highly as it is filled with so much essential information. This link is: http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/diagnosis/

 
The goal my doctor set for me at that time was to get my glucose level below 7%.  I’ve been working on that goal for three months. I have logged every bit of food I’ve eaten in that time into an app that calculates and records the carbohydrates, calories, fat calories, &c..  In addition, I’ve logged every glucose test I’ve completed in that time into another app built for that purpose. That app also has a feature that provides one with an estimated HbA1c percent. This morning, my estimated HbA1c was at 6.0! 

A few days ago, I ordered a self A1c test kit for Diabetics off the Internet. You can get these from a number of sources. Some purport to allow you to take the test and get the results immediately while others have to be mailed into a lab and the results emailed or sent via normal post to you within 4-5 days.  The tests range from $19.00 to more than $100.00 depending upon the type and the speed of the results.

The one I ordered was cheaper and requires one to place your blood onto a provided card and then send it into a lab. The results will be emailed to me in 4-5 days and I’ll report the results as soon as I receive them. Once I get the results I'll schedule an appointment with my doctor to have an “official” test and compare the results. I’m hoping I’ve been able to reduce my blood glucose down to the fairly well managed level.

Gregory

 

No comments:

Post a Comment